Wednesday, May 13, 2015

April showers bring...

Do I really need to finish it?


...


Ok - my OCD is kicking in.  

April showers bring...May flowers!

(Except, technically, the May showers had something to do with these flowers, too.)

Annnnyway...happy spring, everyone!  I hope this finds you well and your basement dry.

I've been waiting to share this project with you for quite a while:
My sweet husband helped me make a little flower bed in front of our house!  I was so excited about it, we had it done and ready to plant wellll before the last frost date, so I had to practice patience before putting anything green in it.  It was worth the wait, though!

Here are a few before/during/after pics for you:
This isn't actually where the bed went or is, but I didn't get a true "before" pic, so just picture the space looking like this, except with less green and more dead leaves...and stuff.
After clearing the space, we (yes, I helped) built a 3-sided wooden "box" to contain the fresh dirt we put in.
Then, I put in some landscaping fabric before planting some perennial starts from my mom (and 2 surprise lilies - one of my very favorite flowers - we found at a garage sale).
Next came a few boughten (thanks to spell check, I just realized "boughten" isn't technically a word...weird...no wonder it looked so strange) perennials and the mulch.
After some root stimulater, Miracle-Gro, sunshine, and rain, we have lots of green and even some color!
Hooray!

I planted three different versions of portucula, but this was the only one with a photograph-able bloom at the time of this post.
The plants the Columbine starts came from are like bushes, now.
We'll see how these guys do from here on out!
Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?

Also - we rescued these beauties from the Lowe's clearance rack. ☺

I'm very thankful for my handy husband, his tool box, and his willingness to help me create this.  This was definitely one of my favorite projects we've done "around the house," so far.  ☺

Speaking of showers...and favorite projects...here's a gift I made for a good friend's recent bridal shower:
Not the best picture of it, but you get the idea.
I used pictures (that I took) from their proposal and quotes from favorite TV shows and movies they've been watching together since they started dating.

So, that was all fun.  Gotta love DIY-ing it.  ☺

Let me know if there's ever anything you want the "scoop" about.  I do my best to keep you posted (pun intended), but am always open for suggestions, of course.

Enjoy the end of the semester, you students and teachers out there!  Everyone else, hope you're able to enjoy the weather on occasion.

Thanks for reading!

With a green thumb,
Kensy


Favorites of the day:
banana ice cream (frozen bananas in the blender...so good!)
thoughtfulness
long, meaningful conversations

No comments:

Post a Comment