Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The hard part...

Hi all,

Happy fall!  Hope this finds you all well!

My engagement post quickly climbed to the top of the page view leaderboard.  Thanks for sharing in our excitement and joy!  There are days that I think it's kinda crazy (had you told my single self a year ago that in less than twelve months I'd be nearing the end of planning my wedding, I probably wouldn't have believed it)...but more often than not, it feels totally normal and right and sensible to think about getting married in a few weeks.  Pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be.  ☺

So...with that super exciting life event comes a fairly sad and very bittersweet one: I'll be moving to Kansas City after we're married.

I can count on one hand (actually, one finger) the number of times I've relocated in my lifetime.  Yes, there was some back-and-forth from home and school and various residences during college, but nothing outside of Lincoln or Topeka.

Change, in general, is (and always has been) very hard for me.  Good change, bad change; big change, small change - it all comes with quite a bit of questioning, evaluating, and adjustment in my head and heart, no matter what.

Needless to say, the fact that I'm leaving Lincoln (and Nebraska) doesn't come without quite a bit of heartache...

God has done a big work in my heart in the months leading up to this change.  If you don't mind, I'd like to walk you through the various stages of thought I went through:

1. (digging in my heels)  No.  I'm not leaving Lincoln.  No way, no how.
2. (sad face) What if I do need to leave...?
3. Nope - not going to leave.  There are plenty of jobs for him here.
3-1/2. That's selfish of me...I shouldn't expect him to move here just because I don't want to leave.
4. We made a pro's and con's list for each place (Lincoln and KC).
5. The pro's and con's were similar, but when we put numerical values to each based on the weight they bore for each of us, we were fairly equally split.
6. Is this something we should even be considering?  How are we ever going to come to a decision?
7. KC might not be so bad...
8. No. Lincoln is better.
9. But in KC, it would be easier to put "being a wife" at the top of my list of priorities (rather than the relationships and jobs I've made a priority for the last 5 or so years post-college).
10. Nah - I could easily switch my priorities here if he moved here.  No need to leave.
11. I REALLY love this guy...nothing should and nothing will trump that.
12. Kansas City, here I come! ☺

My very wise brother told me, once, that if the people I'm saddest to leave feel the same way about me as I do them, they'll be sad for me to leave, too, but will also be supportive of and happy for me.  This is a thought I've clung to, and it has rung true as I've broken the news to the various circles I'm part of.  I can't tell you how thankful I am to have that love and support.  Even though it doesn't alleviate the sadness, it truly makes the transition much more bearable.

Cliché as it may be, Lincoln will always hold a very, very special place in my heart.  The relationships I've built, connections I've made, and opportunities I've taken advantage of while living here are invaluable.  Not to mention being able to say I've lived in a chicken coop!  ☺

(By the way - Charlie hasn't fully digested the move, yet, but I'm sure in good time he'll feel as good about it as I do (though you should know we'll be gaining two roommates - a boy and his dog!).)

Don't worry - I plan to visit a whole lot!  Who knows - maybe life will bring us back to "the good life" at some point.  ☺  (That's Nebraska slogan, by the way - "the good life.")

In the meantime, it's time to get ready to see what life in Kansas City will bring (after we take part in a wedding and head to Cancun for a week, of course).  Suggestions of things to do/see/hear/eat in KC, advice, and prayers are welcomed and appreciated!  I'm so very excited to be there...with my husband(!!!!)...starting a new chapter in life.  Wohoo!

As usual, thanks for reading.  ☺

Until next time,
Kensy

P.S. I'd also welcome suggestions/ideas as to how to tie in the "coop" part of this blog in a non-coop location.  Unfortunately, we won't be airlifting the coop to KC (ha), so I can seamlessly keep the blog title, though it's been suggested by some.  ; )


Favorites of the day:
fall
tapioca fluff pudding
my fiancé

No comments:

Post a Comment